Friday, July 15, 2005

Hanging Lake


HangingLake
Originally uploaded by johnwalter.
One of my two favorite places on earth is Hanging Lake, which is up Deadhorse Canyon. Deadhorse is itself off Glenwood Canyon through which run both the Colorado River and I-70. Hanging Lake is about a mile up Deadhorse Canyon, and "hangs" about a good 500-600 feet up the canyon wall (the whole hike has an elevation gain of 1,100 feet). This picture is taken from a boardwalk over the lake. The edge of the lake which I'm standing over is just a few inches from the cliff edge.

Just off I-70, about 10 miles east of Glenwood Springs, CO (my home town). If you visit during the summer, I recommend packing breakfast and going very early in the morning as Hanging Lake now gets up to 100,000 visitors a year.

| | |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home