Monday, August 29, 2005

So much for keeping the door open

The office I moved into this summer is located on the third floor of the stacks in a four-story annex. You enter the annex at the second floor of the main library and it's not staffed. There's just a few offices like mine. Most people find the annex a bit creapy. I did at first but got over it years ago as all the memory books are kept in this wing. All this is to say that I understand the desire to seek out help if you find yourself in this section of the library. I Academic libraries can be daunting, and especially so the creapy sections of such libraries.

Any way, I've started keeping my door open a few weeks ago, but that's going to stop now. School started up today and I've already had two people asking me to find their book for them. If I'm getting this kind of traffic on the first day of school, I imagine it will only get worse as the semester progresses.

2 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

OH! I had a boss once who imposed an "open-doors-at-all-times" policy on us. And this individual was lethally incapable of real communication. Talk about creepy!

I still have bosses who don't understand the concept of a closed door. They're called children. sigh.

I start teaching next week, wish me luck...

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger John Walter said...

Good luck. Classes started this week for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home