Monday, February 20, 2006

Odd Use of My Suggested Bibliography

From time to time, one hears about some blogger lifting text from someone else's blog, and while this isn't exactly the same, and while the content is attributed to me, I'm a bit perplexed at this wiki page on Orality and Literacy. That's definitely a bibliography I suggested, but it's a very short list of suggested readings I either gave someone who asked about orality-literacy wars of the 1980s or I created when writing about the orality-literacy wars. It's not anything like what I would recommend as a bibliography for studying orality and literacy.

I don't mind a suggested bibliography showing up on someone else's site, especially when it's attributed to me, but the repurposing of this bibliography serves no one very well. It makes me look quirky in ways that I'm not, and it's not a useful bibliography for those wanting to learn more about orality and literacy.

Update (5 June 2006): I should have mentioned earlier that the bibliography intro has been changed to indicate reflect what it is, and I've finally compiled a much better bibliography for those wishing to study Ong's orality-literacy contrasts which I'm going to forward on to George Williams for Palimpsest.

4 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Blogger senioritis said...

The problem is that somebody has published your work without your permission. Fortunately, the folks at Wikipedia will fix that error at your request.

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The link above does not appear to be to Wikipedia, but another wiki site, palimpsest, which is separate and apart from any site run by Wikipedia. If you do have anything pertaining to Wikipedia which is problematic, please let me know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/Wiki/User:BradPatrick

-Brad

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger senioritis said...

That was my too-hasty reading of John's post, which referred to a "wiki page." I'm the guilty party who leaped to the ur-wiki, Wikipedia. Thanks for the correction, Brad.

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've changed the description of the bibliography so that it more accurately reflects the information contained there. If you'd rather I just remove the information, let me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home